Sunday, March 29, 2009

One of the reasons children are so hilarious is that they say what they’re thinking. Everyone has a story about a child asking a non-pregnant woman (or more amusingly and possibly less offensively, a man) if she has a baby in her tummy. I once heard a child ask a teenage boy why he always looked like he had chicken pox on his face. Because what they say is often true (they’re not asking thin people if they have babies in their tummies), I sometimes fall into an “out of the mouths of babes and fools” trance, and feel like the children are witnessing to me some kind of truth only they can see. An eight-year-old tells me I’m wearing too much makeup, and I think, Oh, my god, oh no!, and rush to the bathroom to inspect my face. But then I remember: Why am I taking makeup advice from an eight-year-old?